Downloads for participants:
COMPETITIVE TERRITORY 1:4000 (83Mb)
Scheme of land cadastres 1:4000 (9.4Mb)
I. The object of Competition design
Four fragments of the territory in the valley of Vereshchaginka, three of which are offered for Competition (at the choice of the contestants). The initial data in Appendices 3.1, 3.2, 3.3.
II. General information
Vereshchaginka River divides the Central and Khostinsky districts of the resort city of Sochi, flows into the Black Sea near the hotel “Zhemchuzhina”. The territory of the Vereshchaginsky Valley includes zones of various purposes, many attractive places, worthy of attention, but also not devoid of negative sites requiring a special approach.
Ecology of the river
The river basin enters the Black Sea basin. The source is in the area of the old cemetery. The river basin is formed by the slopes of Mount Batareika and Bald Mountain. The length of the river is __ km; the area of the basin is __ km2.
The river feed is mixed, mostly rainwater, flood water regime, the water level depends on the amount of precipitation, in the upper course it sometimes dries up. During the rainy season, the stream is quite full.
In the upper reaches of the river, the exposed sections of the river do not have shore defense fortifications and are lost among the bamboo thickets under the railroad track. (Fig. 1).
Closer to the mouth, the current of the river is cleaned in a concrete box, the length of __ km, the bed is covered with concrete slabs, which now have private garages and other structures (Fig. 2).
A closed concrete mouth opens onto the beach of the hotel “Zhemchuzhina”, under a restaurant built in the form of a sailboat. (Fig. 3).
Zimniy Theater, built by the architect K.N. Chernopyatov is an architectural monument of federal significance. The portico is crowned with a pediment, on which installed three female figures embodying the painting, architecture and sculpture, made in the studio sculpture of V.I. Mukhina.
Letniy Theater (Fig. 5), located on the territory of the Frunze Park, is also an object of cultural heritage. The theater was built in 1937 according to the project of the architect V.S. Krolevets.
Doctor A. V. Yakobson villa
In 1902 year at Vereshchaginsky side, was built, by project of the architect R. I. Budnik, cottage-clinic Professor of the Petersburg medico-surgical Academy, V. A. Yakobson. Cottage-clinic is one of the best monuments of the romantic movement of art Nouveau in the city of Sochi.
Corner of fitofantasia
Near the Zimniy theatre, in memory of S.I. Venchagov, created “Corner of fitofantasia ” as a tribute to the master of landscape who enjoyed great respect of residents. His labors here were planted more than 260 species of trees and shrubs, as well as more than 120 kinds of flowers. Natural monument is a zone of objects of cultural heritage.
Over the Vereshaginki valley was built in 1935 year and reconstructed in 2001 year, the road bridge of arch construction (Vereshchaginsky viaduct), connecting the Central and Khostinsky areas along Kurortny Prospekt. The length of the bridge is 220 m, width 18 m, height 27 m. Architect – N.B. Sokolov, engineer Y. O. Lvov, Yu. S. Kazak. Vereshchaginsky viaduct is an architectural monument. (Fig. 8-12).
Monument to Nikolai Ostrovsky
On Kurortny Avenue (bus stop “Teatralnaya”) at the beginning of the Vereshchaginsky viaduct in 1964 year a stele with a bas-relief of the sculptor I. Beckerman was constructed, according to the project of the architect E.A. Serdyukov (Fig.14). The stela is dedicated to
Soviet writer Nikolai Ostrovsky, who spent the last years of his life in Sochi and wrote the novel “How the Steel Was Tempered”. The protagonist of the novel Pavka Korchagin became the hero of many Soviet films about the civil war, on the stele his words were cut from the novel: “The most precious thing for a person is life. It is given to him once, and it must be lived so that it is not painfully painful for aimlessly lived years”.
Ostrovsky Memorial house
Ostrovsky Memorial house was built in 1936 by the architect Y. Kravchuk in the Art Deco style. The museum is a monument of history and culture of federal importance (Fig. 15).
Later, in 1956, according to the project of the architect I. Spirin, was built the building of the literary part of the museum (Fig. 16), designed in the style of neoclassicism (“Stalin’s Empire”).
Buildings along the Vereshchaginka River
In the middle reaches of the river there are blocks of residential buildings, mostly low-rise
(Fig. 10-11), mostly low-rise (Fig. 17 – 18).
In the vicinity of the street Alpiskaya at the intersection with the street Dagomysskaya in the neighborhood of the central cemetery (Fig. 19) is a huge garage complex (Fig. 20), above them stands (Fig. 21, 22) the chapel of Simeon the Stylite of the Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, under the project of architect F.I. Afuksenidi (1990th of XX century).
In the zone of competitive design is included the territory for the watershed on the street Dagomysskaya, connecting the street Alpiskaya from the street Transportnaya, along which there are a garbage processing plant and “Sochinskaya TPP”, the zone of influence of which captures a significant part of the Vereshchaginsky Valley. (Fig. 22).
All the transport routes crossing the Vereshchaginsky Valley do not participate in the pedestrian and transport connections of the territory, they are not involved in the organization of its service by public passenger transport. In the central part of the valley, between the 2 automobile tunnels, the Dubrovar section of the resort prospectus is the Lysogorsky Viaduct, 164 meters long, built according to the Olympic construction program in 2012-2014 years. With the street grid of Vereshchaginsky valley (streets Chernomorskaya, Dokuchaeva, Pionerskaya, Griboyedova and etc.) the highway is not connected.
In addition, the valley is crossed by a dam between two railway tunnels section of a 2-way railway line. Access to the surrounding area is restricted by a blind fence.
III. The subject of the Competition “Concept. The valley of the Vereshchaginka river – “The path along the water – the way to the future of Sochi”
The concept should take into account the existing town-planning situation of the territory chosen for Competition, including sights, landscaped areas, transport network, problem areas and planning restrictions. Participants must offer solutions for 3 out of 4 suggested planning fragments of the competitive area and simulate 2-3 survey points reflecting the nature of the interaction of the proposed spatial solution with the environment.
On the example of the territory chosen for competitive design, principles and approaches to the formation of a public space in the river valley should be disclosed, a typology of embankments for different functional areas of the competitive area, technologies and means for providing longitudinal and transverse links, conditions for creating an environmentally friendly.
IV. Competition Objectives
Overview of innovations reflecting promising trends in the organization and typology of public spaces associated with water arteries, developing “The Way along the Water as a Direction to the Image of the Future of Sochi”.
The choice for further design and implementation of innovative proposals that best meet the environmental and social criteria for the quality of residential and recreational environment of the resort city of Sochi, in accordance with the motto of the educational program of the World Festival of Youth and Students: “The sea of friends, mountains of ideas, rivers of people.”
V. Tasks of the Competition
Taking into account the town-planning conditions of the river valley formed in its water protection zone (residential development, recreational zone, transport corridor, etc.), offer options for typological solutions:
- on the architectural and planning organization of the pedestrian embankment (a coastal strip of at least 20 m width), providing a convenient and safe (in view of flood protection) communication of the piedmont settlements with the sea.
- on the architectural and planning organization of town-planning units on the abutment to the embankment of cross-links with residential quarters located on the slopes.
- on the functional filling of the system of public spaces intended for different types of social activity.
- on the organization of transport services for the system of public spaces in the valley (all types of transport, including alternative – rail, vertical, cable, etc.).
Important for the contestants!!!
- Do not forget that Sochi is a historical settlement and a health resort, as well as a zone of subtropical farming, in which the scale of urbanization is limited by the conditions of protection of recreational resources, natural and cultural heritage, preservation of conditions for traditional occupations of the rural population (gardening, livestock …);
- to consider the decisions of the Sochi General Plan for the transport scheme for the development of the resort city. It is necessary to offer priority conditions for pedestrian traffic and alternative modes of transport in front of an individual car and the public transport that exists today;
- pay attention to the engineering protection of the territory from the risk of flooding, improvement of the coastal strip of public use (at least 20 m wide) and the formation of a promenade, the extension of green areas, the organization of accessibility of places of interest;
- offer an innovative program for the functional use of reclaimed areas (car market in a closed landfill site, industrial zones, and old cemetery).
Suggest ideas for functional use, architectural planning and space-spatial solutions for the territories of the 1st stage of implementation: (choose 3 of the proposed 4 x fragments):
- Primorsky Boulevard in the mouth of the river, an approximate area of 8-9 hectares (the venue of KVN festivals on the venues of the Zimniy Theater and the hotel “Zhemchuzhina”), at the exit from the Vereshchaginsky Valley to the sea embankment, with proposals for the organization of pedestrian crossings through the transport highways (motor road, railway).
- Improvement of under trestle space of the Vereshchaginsky viaduct, an approximate area of 5 hectares.
- A forest park with an approximate area of 32 hectares, with the “Alley of the World” 300-350 m in length, in honor of the XIX World Festival of Youth and Students to accommodate green spaces (150 large trees), urban navigation facilities, commemorative stele and other park equipment.
- Renovation of the communal and industrial zone (car market in the former landfill) on the street. Transport, with an approximate area of up to 35 hectares.
VI. Expected results of the Competition.
As a result of the implementation of competitive projects should appear recreational areas, and should be zones of social activity (living sites), the spaces of which will stimulate local communities to interact, encourage citizens and visitors of different ages and interests to communicate and various types of active activities (physical, intellectual, social, etc.).